Emergencies Abroad

Follow this link to create your own Emergency Plan and Contact Tree.

What to do in an Emergency Overseas

*Remember! This information is for Stanford students going abroad independent of a Stanford study-abroad program! While an emergency overseas can be a scary event, remember you are not alone. Reach out and ask for assistance.

If you are seriously sick or injured, seek immediate medical help at the closest medical facility. If medical treatment is not available nearby, call your emergency travel assistance provider.

For students enrolled in Cardinal Care, call On Call International: (603) 328-1926

  • If you have purchased other travel insurance/assistance (e.g., International SOS, MEDEX, etc.) call the emergency operator as listed on your card.
  • If you are not enrolled in Cardinal Care or another travel assistance program, but you did purchase a US-issued ISIC card, call Travel Guard Assist: (715) 342-4104

If you are facing a non-medical emergency, but are in present or imminent danger:

• Contact the local police (if applicable) and/or the appropriate number above to arrange for assistance on your behalf.

• US citizens should contact the nearest US consulate or embassy.
Another resource is Overseas Citizens Services:

  • 202-501-4444 (from abroad)
  • 1-888-407-4747 (from the US)

Also, the US Department of State’s website for Emergencies Abroad lists services available to US citizens for all types of emergencies, from a lost passport to injury and illness.

• International students studying at Stanford should contact their country’s nearest consulate or embassy.

**As soon as it is safe to do so, activate your Emergency Contact Tree.

Top of page

© Stanford University. All Rights Reserved. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report web accessibility issue