Transferring to another U.S. institution from Stanford
Students who wish to transfer their F-1/J-1 status at Stanford to another institution may do so by submitting a completed Transfer Out Request form to the I-Center. Students should submit a Transfer Out Request form only AFTER they have been accepted at the new school and decide to enroll there.
Submit the completed Transfer Out form to the I-Center in one of three ways:
- Bring the form in person to the I-Center (second floor lobby of the Bechtel International Center)
- Scan it and send it as an attachment to: email@example.com
- Fax the form to 650-725-0886
Please note: If you are currently under Stanford sponsored OPT, you will forfeit your work permit upon the transfer release date.
Please carefully read the transfer procedure and restrictions below:
- In order to transfer to another institution, you must maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.
- You must apply to transfer to the new institution:
- F-1– within 60 days after the last day attended at Stanford University
- F-1 Post-Completion OPT– within 60 days after the end date on your EAD card
- J-1– prior to the end date in Section 3 on the the DS-2019
- The new institution will not be able to issue a new SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 until the transfer release date.
- If you decide to cancel your transfer process, you must notify an advisor at the I-Center before your transfer release date. Once the transfer release date passes, Stanford University cannot access your record, and you need to report to the new institution.
- You are no longer eligible to work on-campus at Stanford University after the release date.
- Your new program must start within 5 months following the transfer release date, or within 5 months of the program completion date, whichever date is earlier.
- Students who do not qualify for transfer within the U.S. must leave and re-enter the US using an initial I-20/DS-2019 from the new institution.
Download Transfer Out Request form here