Visa Information

Applying for visa documents from Stanford

Before a student can apply for a student visa, they must first apply for a visa document (I-20 for F-1 or DS-2019 for J-1) from Stanford. Click on the appropriate link below:

Applying for a student visa to study in the U.S.

On Arrival in the U.S.

Changing your immigration status in the U.S.

If you are currently in the U.S. on a non-student visa status, you most probably need to apply for student status before you begin your degree program at Stanford. More information on changing your visa status is available here.

Transferring to Stanford from another U.S. institution

Students who are currently at another U.S. institution in F-1/J-1 status and have been accepted to Stanford may be eligible to transfer their F-1/J-1 status to Stanford. 

Upon your acceptance to Stanford, you will receive specific instructions on how to initiate the transfer process.  You should also contact your current institution on their procedures in transferring you out from their school.   

© Stanford University. All Rights Reserved. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report web accessibility issue